Today's Catch @ Marui Imai


 Marui Imai is Sapporo's well-reputed local department store, which I consider as a grocery store.

The upper floors are very much department store, lined with brand shops with which I have had nothing to do for ages. I occasionally take a look at small boutiques housed on the 3rd floor, though. 

But the basement food floor is different. It is an absolute paradise for me. Even though it’s part of the Mitsukoshi-Isetan Group like Iwataya or Mitsukoshi in Fukuoka, the vibe here is completely different. The floor is not packed with tourists, and the shop assistants are reasonably polite, at least less rude than their Fukuokan counterparts. The quality of perishables is equal or even higher, and the prices are quite reasonable. 

Today, I found trimmings of kanpachi  priced at an amazing 94 yen!


Combining them with a collar of the same fish, I made a fish misoshiru, which turned out to be a big success.

I think they were fresh enough to be simple salt-roasted with a squeeze of lemon (maybe lemon is more expensive per weight than the fish).

 (Boast ahead) Plus, the price was discounted by 10% as I'm a shareholder of the Mitsukoshi-Isetan.  However little the share I have, a shareholder is a shareholder, you know.

Comments