My New Playground in the City Center

Nakajima Park is currently my No. 1 favorite go-to spot in Sapporo.

Conveniently located in the city center, a 30-minute cycle from our place, it offers a number of attractions that are just my cup of tea.

First, Hohei-kan is a beautiful and well-maintained Meiji-era wooden building featured in my favorite manga, Golden Kamuy.


Second, the Hokkaido Museum of Literature offers small but interesting exhibitions, and its reading room provides a quiet space and rare materials, such as a variety of local literary zines. The books there are also cleaner and newer than typical library books.

This museum also occasionally hosts hands-on events. I have joined a workshop for making miniature books,

which actually inspired a new project of my own!

Third, there is a modern concert hall where you can look around the spacious and lavish interior even when no concert is being held.


Walking through the empty courtyard and the lobby with its grand staircase all alone,
I felt as if I had been left behind in the northern staircase of Herrenchiemsee New Palace (where, of course, I have never actually been — I know I'm exaggerating!).

The best thing is that each building is equipped with a simple yet spacious cafe section (though, sadly, the one in the concert hall opens only when there is an event in the hall), relatively rare for Sapporo parks (according to my limited observation). Speaking of cafes, the Showa-classic hotel nearby (or on the premises?) has a lovely cafe, even if the coffee is priced at 950 yen.

This hotel cafe is worth visiting while it lasts, as the building itself is set to be demolished next year.

Furthermore, the paths in the park are smooth and spotless. This is particularly pleasant here in Sapporo, where roads are often full of potholes as if to say: "Barrier free? What's that?"

Very last but not at all least, since many of the visitors are from my generation and visiting on their own, I don't have to feel self-conscious about being solo.

It feels great to have somewhere to go — not for shopping or dealing with tedious paperwork at government offices, or visiting doctors or the dentist, but just for fun and dressing up a bit.

Comments

  1. Congratulations and good luck with your new adventures. I think you should keep your old posts because a lot of them are hilarious and you might want to revisit them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my new blog. I'm glad to see you again here!

      Delete

Post a Comment