My today’s outing was a senior job fair.
I wondered whether there was anything I can do on the job market.
Having previously found work through newspaper ads or temp agencies, I had never stepped into such a labor-market event in my life, and I honestly didn't know what to expect. I hoped I would get some inspiration through this experience.
In the venue, potential employers lined up their booth. At this point, I was already overwhelmed by the reality of the job hunting-- It is actually a labor market: it is all about choosing/chosen as a usable labor. Cool and hard.
However, the atmosphere felt rather calm and quiet, but not peaceful or friendly, either: both the hosts and visitors (in this case, senior citizens who are probably out of job) looked not so desperate as I had imagined. Very Sapporo.
The majority of jobs offered there were care aid, taxi driver, guardian, food preparation and cleaning. All of them were difficult to do without driving license, which I don't have.
Some companies attracted more audience than others. Co-op Sapporo, Toko Store and McDonald's were particularly popular among the grey-haired job seekers.
There were many young people working there, guiding the visitors. Why didn't the eventer organizer employ older workers for that job? And I thought this showed how they viewed older workers—useful behind the scenes, but perhaps not suitable for customer-facing roles...Am I a bit paranoid?
On my way home, I began to think that with my (non) skills and qualifications, maybe I have to keep looking for my own niche by myself for the rest of my life...
Today’s Summary
- Expenses
Subway: 420 yen (return journey)
- Duration
2 hours (Including quick stop-bys)
- Walking:6,900 steps


Comments
Post a Comment