Private Dental Check-Up

Today I visited my dentist for a periodic check-up.

I used to do this in Fukuoka every three months, which was covered by the national health insurance system, meaning my copay was 30 percent of the total cost. Probably for some complex professional reasons, it always took three or more visits to complete the whole procedure.

When I moved to Sapporo, I took the same steps at first, paying 2,000 to 3,000 yen per session (plus a bit extra for snacks or splurging on unnecessary items for "since I came all the way" reasons).

At the end of my first check-up sequence in Sapporo, the dentist told me, rather sympathetically, that since I had no specific dental problems, my next check-up could not be covered by insurance and would cost me 10,000 yen out of pocket. Oh... but I decided to give it a try anyway, as I had built trust with him over the previous three visits.

Today's private check-up included:

  • Visual inspection and bite analysis by the dentist
  • Brushing instruction (including an introduction to interdental brushes suited for my gaps) by his assistant, a polite young dental hygienist who was very patient with me
  • Scaling
  • Tooth polishing
  • Gum pocket cleaning
  • Fluoride application

Total duration: 1 hour

Cost: 10,000 yen plus consumption tax (1,000 yen)

This time, everything was completed in just one session, and my next check-up won't be for another four months. Until then, I don't need to visit the dentist or make unnecessary detours to department stores. Plus, I save on transportation costs.

While paying 10,000 yen for a one-hour session takes a bit of a stretch, it actually feels much more rational and efficient compared to going to the dentist multiple times.

Then, I wonder, what on earth am I paying all that health insurance for?

Comments